A while back, I saw some vintage P.O. boxes for sale at a flea market and an idea hit me instantly. I thought it was going to be a unique idea and that I could make a bunch and eventually sell them. When I got home, I quickly learned that this was not a unique idea at all, but I still loved them and wanted to make one with a little twist.
The P.O. box doors came from a post office in Pennsylvania and were manufactured in the late 1950’s according to the casting stamp inside the door. I used walnut and two different shades of cherry all from Blacksburg, VA for the body of the piggybank.
The tricky part of this project was measuring the opening for the door just right so that it fit not too tight, and not too loose. This took a lot of measuring and some trial cuts. It was also critical that the box joints fit perfectly and didn’t have any tear-out since they would be a focal point of the boxes. I made seven piggybanks this round and I gave some away for Christmas, the rest will be for sale shortly. They were finished using several coats of wipe-on polyurethane with a brass coin slot on top and small furniture pads on the bottom.
I was really happy with the way these turned out, I really like the cherry and walnut together and the lighter colored cherry for the back. In my next batch, I may try a different style to add some diversity. I also just picked up some older (late 1800’s, early 1900’s), larger P.O. box doors from a cool store in Austin, TX called Uncommon Objects.